In the late fall of 2016, regular water tests were conducted at the Squaw Valley resort. Some results came back indicating the presence of E. coli and coliform bacteria in the drinking water at the resort’s upper mountain. In accordance with protocol, those results were immediately shared with the Placer County Department of Environmental Health.
The restaurants in the upper mountain were closed for a period, and skiers were not allowed to drink the water from that area. Anyone in the High Camp or Gold Coast areas could enjoy the full use of the facility, and they were provided with free bottled water for drinking purposes.
Additionally, the water was closely monitored to ensure that levels would return to normal. Shortly after the initial reports, testing showed that three out of the four wells in the upper mountain showed low levels of the coliform bacteria and no E. coli.
The guests’ safety and health was the resort’s first priority, and it’s important to note that no health issues were ever reported. Heavy rainfall is likely to be the cause of the issue. All season long, strong storms hit the Lake Tahoe region and much of the West Coast.
Squaw Valley has since installed its own filter and chlorination system, and as of December 21, 2016, experts have declared the water to be free of contaminants.